Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Power of "Christ" Compels You!

With Haloween fast approaching, there seems to be an increased interest in the occult, and in the bastardization (tee hee hee) of the Roman Catholic Faith. Now don't get me wrong, I find it quite comedic at times; watching the exorcism of Emily Rose (fine, argue that it's based on a real story), The Omen, etcetera, etcetera. Now, on one hand, it is quite fun to argue that that these may be based on the actual beliefs and demon-angles of our Christian faith; but it still amuses me how there is such a wide array of horror films depicitng such from the Judeo-Christian paradigm.

When was the last time you saw a devil or ghost or other malevolent being being chased away by a Q'ran, or by a Torah? I recently saw this B-vampire movie where the vampires were killed with pine-stakes (you know.. as in from christmas trees); I wish to see one where they are killed with either a dreidle or a Menorah. You see what I mean?

Now, before you call me some kind of religious racist (The proper term escapes me), I don't wish to bash the other religions in light of the Christian Faith. In fact, my line-of-thought lies more in what the Christian or Catholic faith still holds for us. Is it now as integrated into mythology (yes, I dared to use the term mythology) as the Ancient Egyptian religions which brought us The Mummy? Or Old Norse Mythology that brought us the drug-laced Max Payne (ugh. I know, that was such a stretch). But bottom line is, is it such a novelty now that we can flop it around and treat is so much part of a joke as anything else?


I'm not entirely sure. But what I will admit is that I get more of a kick from "religious" horror movies than from zombie flicks, or demonic alien flicks. In a way, it seems more real.

As to the morals of my describing my faith with the combined words of "seem" and "real", I am not too confident in testifying. But I'm sure you all get my point.

For what it's worth, however, my first big flick in the movie biz (should I ever get in there) is about a vampire slayer who kills the undead with a menorah-stake (7 vampires at once!), or with his super-duper-dreidle-bazooka-launcher.

No comments: