Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dreaming of a White Christmas

I was fortunate enough to have been able to go to Disneyland during the start of their Holiday celebrations. The start of the season was met with a new Holiday themed parade, Holiday overlays in certain rides like IASW and Haunted Mansion, a spirit of togetherness with the huge and suffocating crowds, and the new holiday themed fireworks spectacle.

How can a bunch of exploding metals be holiday themed? Well, for one thing, the explosions were choreographed to popular Christmas Carols, and, for another, the grand finale was a showering all over mainstreet with fake snow. Yup, fake snow. Small globs of foam made to look like floating and descending snowflakes which, upon landing on your hair and clothes, look more like dandruff than actual snow.

An interesting thing about it was, as the snow descended and the lights more or less dimmed to suit the mood, and "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" played in the background, American families all around me became senti all of a sudden and started to hush and gush. Meanwhile, I was thinking that this was a little odd, Southern California, given a regular year, does not experience any snowfall at all. In fact, our Christmases are more characterized by heavy fog and rainfall... not snow. Technically speaking, snow should be as foreign to them as it is to me (disclaimer: it's not that foreign to me, I've been to places with snow, hence my statement).

Bah.

[Trying to make a smooth segue]: I am, however, dreaming of a white Christmas, if anything, because I don't really have a choice. Yes, I am staying here for the holidays. But enough of this tomfoolery, and unto more.... frivolous matters (yes, that was a contradictory contradiction). I am dreaming of a white Christmas because I know now what I want to ask Santa for the Holiday season for being that special brand of a "naughty boy" that is actually quite nice ::wink, wink; nudge, nudge:: I want a pet HSLP. Yeahp, you heard me, I want a miniaturized, pocket-sized, on a leash version of highschool lab partner.

eww, how dare you think of lascivious thoughts.

I want a pet HSLP because he's just so innocent and entertaining. His mannerisms are very endearing, and, as I found out today, he loves his dog so much he makes appointments for it to get acupuncture treatments. Yes, acupuncture.... for dogs... because he has a bad back (scoliosis?).... how cute is that, right? Besides, he said already that he wants to enroll in the same Chem1B and Math3A classes as me, and so, having a pet verison of him will be fun- if I have any questions about how to take care of it, I can just ask him. And, if he grows too mature and jaded and american-teenager like, I can just put him to sleep. That's way more humane than killing the original HSLP.

eta: oh, and did I mention that he's a friggin technology genius? At age 16, he friggin repairs DVD optical shindigs, and is on his way to making a synthesizer. whuts.

See, I am dreaming of a white christmas. a 2 foot tall, 16 year old caucasian pet. HAHA. OH MY GOD, that sound's so wrong.

whatever, you're just jealous.

______

My rants for "holiday" vs "christmas" will have to wait. Santa Claus doesn't like giving gifts to complainers...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This entry was so schizo.

But I can just imagine the Disneyland scenario. Wonderful. Wish I could have been there to experience something like that.