Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pepito

Being small has probably helped define more than any of my external traits. When I was young, and didn't need anyone, and making love was, well, just for fun (alas, those days are gone); I was perenially the shortest, thinnest and most anemic looking kid in my class. My polo-shirt from Grade 1 could literally fit those big-sized dolls that are popular now with the kids these days. Granted, teh dolls have probably grown bigger over the last 15 or so years, but I'm sure that by any standard, I was a small, small kid.

From that early onset, my height prevented me from enjoying sports such as basketball. Whereas the bigger, bulkier kids got dibs on pushing everyone around the courts and tossing the balls waywardly toward the hoop, I was relegated to playing more horizontally-oriented games. You know: tag, hide and seek, charge+block+boom. Thus was born my unnaturally low affinity for organized physical exertion; a.k.a. sports.

Of course, we know that in the Philippines, Basketball is seen as a major avenue for the expression of camaraderie, brotherhood, and socialization. After all, nothing says "Pare, kaibigan kita" like passing a leather-skin ball over the hands and heads of other kids. So, deprived of this expression of fraternal affection, I had to learn other ways to communicate. Second to basketball, I found out, was acquiring a skill of articulation and eloquence, and boy did I capitalize on this ability! I attempted to hone not only my speech method, but also the very diction and thought-processes through which communication via the verbal word is propagated. If I couldn't talk moves on the court, I found out by Grade 4 or so, at least I could talk smack.

Retracing from that anachronism though, after grade 1, I discovered a need to expand beyond my thirst for linguistic prowess. I started to seek other forms of knowledge in the sciences, the maths, a little bit of history, et al. I realized that information from these parts were good in two ways. Firstly, it made for an exceptional conversationalist with numerous anecdotal references, and secondly, if played right, it gave for better grades- yet another display of individualism and "communication" throroughyl sought after and well appreciated.


My thirst for knowledge, however, wasn't just brought about by a desire to talk glib better. It was also in reaction to yet another parameter set about by my height. With the exception of those with a fetish for the small, I would hardly be considered the achetype of beauty and attractiveness. Hence, I had to resort to either being a funny man, or being a smart man. Trust me, I tried the former, and it just didn't work.


to be continued... :)

No comments: