Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Secret of Lost Things

I am in the middle of a personal crisis right now. My pendant (a native wooden one), to which I attached my lab key, has gone missing. I used it last last Thursday, and paid no mind to its absence until Monday evening (the day before Chem Lab). I couldn't find it in time, had to hang my head in shame and use the lab tech's skeleton key on Tuesday, vowed to find it by wednesday, and am currently crying (deep, deep inside) because I still can't find it, and tomorrow's another lab day. Some theories:

1.) While sleeping, I must've unconsciously slipped it off, as I have done occassionally, when the pendant+key turned round to my back and dug into my back. Only this time, I'm not sure where I put it. I usually just place it on my bedside table... but last thursday, and throughout the weekend, I pretty much napped all over the house- beds, couches... on the floor... you name it.

2.) The only other time I take that pendant off regularly is before I shower. I remember feeling very lethargic last Thursday/Friday and taking a shower after waking up from a nap... I might've slipped it off and laid it on the counter, forgot to put it back on after showering, and it might've have slid/been pushed/fallen into the bathroom trashcan beside the counter... worst thing is, the trash has since been discared. OH GOD, I HOPE THIS ISN'T WHAT HAPPENED.

3.) The house elf (duwende) must be playing a trick on me.. S/he must've hidden it somewhere... and so, in hopes that this is the case, I am busying myself with baking a batch of cookies and placing a glass of ginger ale under my bed tonight, in hopes that after snacking, he'll give me back my key... and maybe even "apologize" by making me win the megamillions lotto... hopefully.


I am seriously paranoid and restless right now. That key is important for obvious reasons, but the pendant itself is important to me too. My best friend gave it to me some time last year, and was pretty much the only physical token I've ever received- I've taken it to have been some kind of parting gift of sorts. I NEED TO FIND IT, A.S.A.P.

If not, I will be in the corner of my room, crying.

-0-

Apologies, by the way, to those who must have noticed all the missing things on this blog. You know what I mean: the missing commas and periods, the mistaking of "me"'s for "my"'s and other basic mistakes I shouldn't make. I have a tendency to write when I'm feeling particularly emphatic about something, and I usually don't have the good sense to read over what I've written until it's too late. I hope you guys don't particularly think less of me for my poor structure (especially given this blog's title. ha ha!), and trust that I do know the fundamental rules of written English. I've just never been that much of an editor ever since.

Seriously though, I don't know why I keep missing the word "the". It's a nice article, after all.

-0-

let's see... other missing things...

oh, quite unrelated, but Z asked me the other day for the URL of this blog. I froze almost instantly, fearing that he'd read what I'd written down here (hopefully he won't find out that Z, is, well, Z). Upon giving him the id of the blog (pacificism) this gem of a 'conversation' ensued:

Z: c'mon, pacificism, w w w...
me: you don't start blogspot URL's with www.'s
Z: fine, "h. t. t. p. colon, backslash, backslash..."

-insert hesitation and all that jazz-

me: ugh. pacificism dot blogspot dot com.
Z: pacificism? ... ...
Z:....
Z:....
Z:...
Z:... ... sounds like circumcision... ...

*silence, tumbleweeds and children dying of asphyxiation on Mars*
-end scene-

I guess in a sense we're even now, seeing as how I uttered something awkward that caused the conversation to stop some time in the past (see entry 101 reasons...). But really though, circumcision? wouldn't you think that pacificism (which is a real word, by the way) would sound more like "pacific" as in the "Pacific Ocean" or "Pacifism"? Does it really sound like Circumcision?

What a nice, poetic way to end a blog entry entitled "The Secret of Lost Things." Please excuse the male populace, Z especially (maybe), while they search for the mysticism in their lost foreskin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the cookies must be oatmeal cookies and the ginger ale must be canada dry. and yes, i would most probably go to your house and eat the cookies and drink the ginger ale even before the house elf gets to see it... :D

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,
What's to say you aren't my house elf?

*suspense theme*