Tuesday, March 17, 2009

AI Country Week

Sure, they're giving it a new name, but c'mon, we all know it's country week through and through. here are my 5 cents (inflation, yo): --beware, verbosity supreme--

Michael (Ain't Goin Down 'till the Sun Comes Up): Vocals were ok, I mean, I can't really pick him out for major melodic problems... however, his performance was way bad. Seriously, his audience/camera connection was freaky-creepy, and I hate the "energy" (or lack of it) that he showed (honestly, the harmonica player was more energetic and had more stage presence than him). If you guys still remember La Toya London doing this, then it's best for you to keep that one in your memory instead. Irrelevant Female judge giving him kudos for "memorizing the words" shows just how desperately she was grasping for straws (in fact, part of his poor energy this week might be because he was trying too hard to not forget anything). I label this as the pinnacle of safe, and, as Simon Cowell said, clumsiness. Definitely in trouble, in my books at least.

Allison (Blame it on Your Heart): I swear, this girl reminds me of a punked out, or rocked out Rachel Ray, about which the jury is still out on whether its good or bad. It's hard to understand her words, especially given her strong vibrato, almost screamy projection and her enunciation is very wide (which I actually like, though, since it works for her image). I like her energy though, and think she did quite well this week. The thing with her, I think, is that her voice energy and attitude is a "hate her/love her" thing wherein I doubt she will change anybody's mind mid-season through. Y'all know what I mean?

-> Oh, and what's up with crying blond lady after she sang? :/
-> Randy Jackson, "I don't think it's precocious, I think it's dope!"... ... ... sooo... basically all he did was take a word from British lexicon, and replace it with black lexicon... ::facepalm::

Kris (To Make You Feel My Love) : This guy sang like a professional signer tonight, which carries its own sets of pro's and cons. On the distinct pro side is the fact that he had such command over the song, and he was quite comfortable with his range, his projection and even *gasp* the emotions of the song. On the con side, however, is that he sang like a professional who can afford to be lenient on some musical aspects of the song. For example, sometimes his softer notes became too whispery, and the performance was soft (sometimes losing it on the lower notes, too), but without the AI-pressure needing heartwrenchingness (think Carrie Underwood). However, I think that Paula summed it up quite well when she called out the vulnerability in his performance. On the whole, though, I think that it was a really smart song choice, really smart choice to not have his guitar, and it was really good.


Shrill (Independence Day): Her enunciation this week was annoying. It's not that she changed it and mangled it purposefully- her timbre, is just not suited for Country Music, I guess. Also, her look today was not suited to her song- at all. And for those of you who noticed, see how I'm not really commenting on her singing? It's because it was so meh. It's like, ok... so you're a black girl singing country... what's new? She's falling too much into her niche of "diva power singer" which, while requisite, has been forever filled already by the likes of Tamyra, La Toya, Vonzell, and other people who were able to make the most of that niche while it wasn't saturdated yet. Ironically, she chose a safe song and just trashed it. Paula, who were you listening to?

I think she's in trouble, but she ain't going home, because she's gonna get the judges-boo-savior-vote. And yes, Shrill, RnB is not the only genre you can sing, but maybe you should stick to it anyway.

Adam (Ring of Fire): Different does not always mean better, and in his situation, comparing this to the original would not be fair (because it's *gasp* oh so different). I hate it when contestants do the "fuck me" eyes to the camera, and this was no exception. It sounded like I'd hear it on the soundtrack of Alias while Sydney Bristow poses as some belly dancer in Morroco or something. I don't know what to make of this though, cuz he didn't perform it like a country song- at all. "making it your own" can only go so far- sure, make it your own by changing the tempo or the "licks", but what is this... Cairo Country? So.... yeah...

The annoying thing is, people will be focusing so much on the fact that he made it 'his own' and will totally ignore the fact that it was "pitchy" and just vocally not-impressive. Then again, sexmoans can't really be expected to sound musically sound.

This guy is definitely safe because he made it "oooh edgy and unique." Whatever. I think that this guy just "cheated" his way out of this week. It was a good vocal performance, but it wasn't AI good, and it wasn't country. Refer to previous statement about Kris acting like a professional, and it applies even more to this guy. Great cover, but not for AI country week please.

irrelevant judge: "I'm confused... but happy?"

Creepy Blind Guy (Wild Angels): The only things missing from this performance were the furry woodland creatures and orphaned puppies. I seriously think that this guys vocal ability is way too advertised and "pimped." I mean, especially considering that losing one sense supposedly heightens another, this guy should be given higher expectations! Oh wait, vocal prowess isn't a sense... that explains a lot. This guy gives me such a big "meh"-factor though. He bores me through and through, and his voice really.just.does.not.impress.me

I die a little inside every time irrelevant judge creates a puddle under her seat because this blind guy is the next mainstream reincarnation of Andrea Bocelli. Give me Stevie Wonder on the piano, and he'll show you blind energy!

Alexis (Jolene): This one's gonna be short: this girl did ok. As Randy Travis said, there really isn't much to add by way of comments or suggestions, but sadly enough, this is (I think, I hope she surprises me) the pinnacle of her capabilities, as far as she's showing it. She'll have to live with her 'pitchiness' and lost-girl-ness, and I hope she can keep hiding her shortcomings from irrelevant judge and Paula to avoid total crashing and burning from the judges. What I mean is, she'll be safe so long as the other contestants remain stagnant. That said, her longevity in the show, IMO, is unpredictable, but she's definitely not gonna win.

Danny (Jesus Take the Wheel): My personal bias toward this guy will just not make me like anything he does (Thanks SurvivorSucks). That said, his vocals this week were ok, but the way he interpreted the song (and its subtleties) just made it so pretentiously "gospel". Seriously, take a cue from Carrie who did this song brilliantly. It's kinda like "would you really shout at Jesus like that?" There's a difference between the emotional plea that successful singers of this song have pulled off, and the reckless anger and belching that Danny did. I understand that ever since Randy (the big one) said "make it your own" some seasons past, contestants have been finding every single way to do just that, but some songs were meant to be sung as they were originally.

I swear, the studio audience of American Idol must have a "high note and loud voices" fetish - the only rational explanation for their love for this gokey guy.

By the way, people, a new waterpark's opening right under irrelevant Judges and Paula's chairs- slip and slide and Wet and Wild! ugh.

Anoop (You're Always on My Mind): Ok, first and foremost, Anoop, please stop with the creepy staring- you're not the resident creepy blind guy of this season. That spot was actually taken by a creepy blind guy. That said, his vocals tonight were top 11 worthy, definitely. Sure, he strained on the high notes, but I'm sure the general public will interpret that as passion and belting and whatever. Not AI winner worthy yet, but enough to keep him safe, IMO. The thing about this guy this week is that his vocals/performance were good, but nothing spectacular. HOWEVER, the moment you compare that to last week's, and you just see his resillience and humility (no talking back, not like those other "sassy" contestants), and you really see why this guy deserves to be there.

I just hope that people who elect to use the mic stand + mic will have better consolidated gestures than the cheezy JenHud hand motions.

Megan (I Go Walking After Midnight): This girl made it her own, by putting this jazzy-bluesy flavor to it. The big difference though between this girl and Adam is that she put jazz/blues in a country song, whereas Adam made country into some other genre. This is how you make a song "your own"/different- you put your own flavor within its parameters. I like her rendition of it, but her "sudden' high notes were problematic, and pitchy (maybe it was because she was sick?). The funny thing about this is, her "pitchiness" was a hurdle to overcome (which she... eeeh.... sortakinda i wanna say she did) tonight, but had she been an established singer, I think it would've been just a cute kink she could keep in her vocal repertoire forever and ever.

wait, you know what, I just rewound and rewatched.. and I think they're giving this girl a little bit too much benefit-of-the-doubt for being sick... that will definitely push her to next week, and, despite that, she is definitely not among the worst this week, yo.

Matt(So Small): Am I the only one who felt that his performance was, in AI terminology, pitchy? And seriously, if you're gonna endeavor to make your rendition of a song "heartfelt and sincere" can you please make sure that you actually translate that? Slower tempo and raspy voice do not a heartfelt performance make. I don't see how this got the screams and the cheesy judge's comments. Maybe it was because he's last? I think that's gonna push him to next week, though. It wasn't a trainwreck, and it wasn't last. This guy does not amaze me, though. Randy, the reasoning for the miles between Michael Buble and JT in your (and Simon's) comparisons is due to the fact that you hastily likened him to JT when he was not like him. Come to think of it, the comparison to M.B. was hasty and unfair, too.

But Matt, you pierced Paula's heart the way a syringe pinches her elbow... every night.


Closing Comments:
Randy is a bad mentor- he kept on thinking that people chose bad songs (which some of them were, but c'mon, have some faith!), and he basically had one piece of advice "save your licks for later"
Irrelevant judge is, well, irrelevant
Country is such a trite AI requirement that failed to produce that many good performances this season.

Favorites of the week:
Allison
Kris
Anoop

Who i think deserve to be in the bottom:
irrelevant judge (boot!)
Michael
Creepy Blind Guy (boot!)
Danny
Alexis
Shrill

Who I think will be in the bottom:
Alexis (boot!)
Michael

No comments: